November is the month where we get the privilege to highlight the unique realm of healthcare that is focused strictly on quality of life.
The Hospice Foundation of America provides resources to assist in selecting the best hospice provider for you.
Here are some key ideas to consider when selecting a hospice provider
What does a day on hospice look like? According to the Hospice Foundation of America, hospice is…
- Medical care for people with an anticipated life expectancy of 6 months or less, when cure isn’t an option, and the focus shifts to symptom management and quality of life.
- An interdisciplinary team of professionals trained to address physical, psychosocial, and spiritual needs of the person; the team also supports family members and other intimate unpaid caregivers.
- Specialty care that is person-centered, stressing coordination of care, clarification of goals of care, and communication.
- Provided primarily where a person lives, whether that is a private residence, nursing home, or community living arrangement, allowing the patient to be with important objects, memories, and family.
- Care that includes periodic visits to the patient and family caregivers by hospice team members. Hospice providers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond if patient or caregiver concerns arise.
- The only medical care that includes bereavement care, which is available during the illness and for more than a year after the death for the family/intimate network.
- A Medicare benefit; to which all Medicare enrollees have a right. Hospice care also is covered by most private health insurance at varying levels, and in almost every state, by Medicaid. Read more about paying for hospice.
- Video about a day on Hospice…it’s not what you think… https://hospicefoundation.org/Videos/video-player?id=81
For more information, check out Hospice Foundation Of America – What is Hospice?
This is an unbiased website about what to look for and consider when selecting a hospice provider.
As a local provider, we hope you will choose us to support you and your loved ones in this critical decision. We know every story is different and every experience is unique. Our goal is to tailor your experience to you and your wishes. If you have questions, you can always call or email us.