The goal of healthy aging is to emphasize the habits for individuals to build into their lifestyle. The goal is for these behaviors to take hold before the later stages of aging and entry into the geriatric phase of life. Ideally, these are habits that start in the mid-40s and are continued into each of the following decades. Modifications of course are part of the process, but an holistic view of body, mind, soul, and spirit really direct a comprehensive approach that your healthcare team can build treatment plans around to support your engagement in your best life.
Here are some tips:
- Get Moving – There are many ways to stay active, and the target time commitment is around 10-15 minutes daily.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet – There are lots of diet fads and plans available, but the fundamentals are the same. Eating a balanced diet is crucial to maintaining your health.
- Stay Social – The power of community is real and isolation can have an impact on both your mental and physical wellbeing.
- Balance your Body and Mind – Engaging in thought provoking exercises is crucial to maintaining your mental abilities and supporting mental flexibility. Exercises for the mind are just as important as for the body.
- Commit to annual check-ups – Building a relationship with a primary care provider for your annual physical is key to identifying changes early. Don’t forget your dentist, optometrist, and audiologist. These services are crucial to accessing and participating in meaningful activities as part of your overall health strategy.
If you would like ideas of activities and strategies, check out https://www.unicityhealthcare.com/celebrating-healthy-aging-month-during-september/#:~:text=September%20is%20Healthy%20Aging%20Month,positive%20aspects%20of%20growing%20older.